We promote opportunity and inclusion and give talented people the chance to succeed. Supplier diversity is an important part of the New York Power Authority and has been for over 30 years. The Authority prides itself on the long-term achievements and success of its supplier diversity program. To date, over $844 million has been expended with Minority and Women Owned businesses (MWBEs) for fuel oil, gas, computer equipment, printing, environmental services, office supplies, security services, technical support personnel, treasury transactions, engineering services, construction services and interior design services to name a few.
NYPA’s commitment dates back to the early 1980s, well before the enactment of New York State Executive Law Article 15-A, which requires specific goals for participation by certified minority and women owned firms in contracts awarded by State Agencies and Authorities. NYPA has reached or exceeded its MWBE goal for over 15 consecutive years. In selecting MWBE firms to participate in its procurement activities, the Authority maintains its requirement for quality and integrity. The MWBEs must possess the technical capabilities, experience and financial stability expected of any other vendor.
We are on track to exceed $1 billion in expenditures across our business in the next two years. We issued a strategic plan earlier this year that identifies substantial investments in our business from customer solutions, smart generation and transmission, and improving the efficiency of our resources. It is important now, more than ever, to have qualified suppliers working with us to help us implement our strategic vision. Here’s how:
- Sign up on NYPA’s website: http://www.nypa.gov/SDP/default.htm
- In order to be recognized as a Minority/Women Business Enterprise (MWBE) by the Authority, your firm must be certified by the Empire State Economic Development’s Division of Minority and Women’s Business Development. http://www.esd.ny.gov/MWBE.html
- View current bidding opportunities: http://www.nypa.gov/Procurement/Default.aspx
- Public Bid Notices are advertised in the New York State Contract Reporter, the State’s Official weekly listing of bidding opportunities. https://www.nyscr.ny.gov/
- To answer any other questions, see: Guide to Doing Business
Today, energy services are playing a significant role within the Authority, which has been a longtime advocate of the State’s energy efficiency goals. In an event that advanced both New York’s commitment to supplier diversity as well as the State’s commitment to energy efficiency, NYPA hosted the first ever Energy Efficiency and Green Technology Opportunities Exchange earlier this month.